12.23.2009

The World In Solemn Stillness Lays

There are two things I like about snow - only two things. When my children were very young and we lived near Buffalo, I enjoyed snow – its depth, the cold, the shoveling, snowball fights ... Now there are only two things – or did I say that already?

One is the reminder from the Old Testament that though our sins be as scarlet red, they will be white as snow (Isaiah 1:18); though our lives are stained red from our sin they shall be as white as snow. I love that. God does that in our lives. King David, after messing up his life, confesses to God and says that if God will forgive him he will be whiter than snow (Psalm 51:7).

When it snows and you look out on the world, all the dirt is covered up. The great thing about our Father in heaven is that our sins are not just covered up but they are done away with. They are gone. Remembered by God no more. Removed from us as far as the east is from the west. This is a new day.

Secondly, when snow blankets the earth it is so quiet. On Saturday night and into Sunday morning, the world came to a standstill – at least out here on eastern Long Island. It was quiet, still, peaceful. I like that. The snow reminds me that God says, Be still and know that I am God. Stop what you’re doing for a little while and remember what your life means to me.

This Christmas Eve might be a good time for such a reflection. On Christmas Eve we will celebrate the coming of Christ into the world. We will (hopefully) pause for a while. I hope you will join us or worship wherever you find yourself. The sermon for our church is entitled A Down-To-Earth Savior (read Philippians 2, Isaiah 53) . . . . great music lined up to praise God and reflect on the meaning of the night.

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment