12.02.2009

December 2, 2009

I learned a valuable lesson a couple of weeks ago. When my mom’s neighbor moved, he left his wood chipper for her. Now, can’t you just see my mom outside in overalls, goggles, and work gloves, loading branches into the machine? I decided to take it – maybe grind up my leaves. The wood chipper sat for a month in my shed until last week when I rolled it out onto the lawn. I thought I’d see if I could just get it started - I'd change the oil later. I put a little gas in the empty tank, gave a pull and it started right up. I put in some leaves and watched them being ground into dust when all of a sudden I saw smoke. And the engine stopped. Uh oh. What could be wrong?

Those of you more mechanically minded than I know what the problem was. No oil. Engine seized up. Another of my magnificent mechanical debacles (I’m hoping someone reading this can give me some advice . . . )

No matter how good the engine or how much gas it has, it will not run without a little oil. A little oil was all it needed.

Just a little oil. Like a little kindness, a little love, a little encouragement – that’s all it takes to keep the "human machine" running smoothly. You’d be surprised how such little but vital effort keeps a relationship from seizing up.

Here’s hoping that I learned something about that The Day The Wood Chipper Died.

Yours in Christ,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment