12.16.2009

December 16, 2009

So I was visiting a church member in the hospital when I recognized the man in the next bed. I asked him if he would like me to pray for him. "No, I can take care of myself, thank you," was his reply.

I’m not exactly sure what he meant because his presence in a hospital bed was evidence that, in one respect at least, he could not take care of himself. He needed the medical profession. Perhaps he was referring to his soul. And it caused me to wonder how many other people think the same way. I suspect many don’t want to think they need God to love them, guide them, and forgive them. It takes an astute spirit to realize that one is a sinner in need of saving (forgiving). We deceive ourselves in thinking we are not sinners, fully able to turn our backs on the God who wants nothing more than to share his love with us; a love manifested completely in Jesus.

Let’s face it. None of us can take care of ourselves. As children we depended upon our parents; as adults we depend on the government, our jobs, social institutions, and eventually, funeral directors. One of the greatest promises in Scripture may be found in 1 Peter 5:7. The disciple, in the midst of life’s difficulties, writes, Cast all your anxiety on him for he cares for you.

Wherever you are. Whoever you are. Let God forgive you. Invite him into your life – your whole life. That man in the hospital was entrusting his life to the medical profession. How much more do we need to entrust our lives to the God who created us?

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment