12.09.2009

December 9, 2009

Those of you who live in the Mattituck area have probably encountered the new 20 mph speed zone at the high school. One friend, who noticed it too late, contributed $300 to the town.

Do you know how slow 20 mph is? It’s hard to imagine... until you hit the zone and creep along, with traffic closing in on you from behind. But I must tell you . . . I love it, absolutely love it, and not even for all the good safety reasons (although I am all for safety). I have discovered here, and in the village of Southold, that going past a school can be a most restful experience.

I don’t know about you but I am one wound up guy most of the time, going from one task to another at about 100 mph. But the new blinking lights and signs (along with thoughts of what I'd rather do with my $300) certainly help. In fact I find myself really wanting to get to the school zone so I can sloooooww down.

We all need to slow down some. Well, most of us anyhow. I am reminded of the Psalm, I think 46, where the Lord says, Be still and know that I am God. Stop and consider God. Think about God. Trust in God. We are so busy sometimes that our life has a "life" of its own and by the end of the day we’re exhausted. Take time to be quiet.

I have to tell you, lately my prayer time with God has taken on such new meaning. It is a time of rest in Him; just being still and letting my mind and heart slow down; just being with God without having to say a whole lot. It is so refreshing. It’s like a God Zone where I have to slow down.

Forget the long lists you have to pray. Just be with God. Take a break. Go for a walk with God. Read a good book with God. And even if you don’t call it prayer, well, just be still and acknowledge that God is the God of your life.

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment