9.16.2011

Living on the Inside

Read Ephesians 3:16 and following

Life on the inside. I’m not referring here to jail but to the inner spirit within us where Christ resides (although that inner person might feel like jail sometimes).

But too often we live on the “outside”, affected by so much that is not helpful to our growth as Christians. We live by what we see, and how we think others see us. I know that for myself at times I am too concerned with what others think of me and so I forget to look inside of myself where Christ is telling me that I am his beloved. And others might define me by my appearance, my age, even my mistakes and my sins – rather than the relationship I have with Christ way down deep inside of me.

That's why prayer is so important.... looking inside and being with Christ.... just being quiet in the presence of God. We need to think more about God's love for us and not be caught up in the external pressures of life.

I don't want to live on the surface of life; I want to live deeper inside where Paul prays I will know Christ (Eph. 3:16). It is in this deep inner place that I can come to say, “Thy will be done”. Living on the surface of my life is too often about my will. But hopefully the more time I spend on the inner life, the better the life on the outside will be.

God invites us to go deeper, to abide with him, stay with him, rest with him, to be loved by him. That cannot happen until we obey him – “BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD” (Psalm 46).

Life on the inside is where I come to know myself better and, to be honest, the first glance might not be all that pretty. But I present myself to Christ and he interacts with my spirit to give me new life.

Maybe that's why Paul writes in Colossians that our real lives are hid with Christ. See, if you are a believer in Christ, according to Colossians 3:3 the life you see in the mirror is not your real life. Your real life is the life that God sees through his Son Jesus Christ, who died for you. God sees you as His Beloved son or daughter. And believe me, God is at work in our lives even if we are not aware of it.

So next time you see me, remember to look deeper inside because that's where I am living.... with the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment