9.28.2011

Grace on Main Street

So I'm driving down the Main Road and notice that some folks are trying to cross the street. I am not in a hurry so I stop to let them walk on over to the other side. I am happy to do it. It is my pleasure. But my pleasure turns to annoyance when I receive no acknowledgment for my act of kindness. Nothing; not even a slight wave of the hand. I always acknowledge the kindness of drivers… even when I’m in a crossing zone.

Now you might think this is a message about the unbelievable attitudes of some people who take the kindness of us drivers for granted. But it's not. It is an indictment of me. Here I am breaking the law of Jesus Christ by expecting something back from someone.

I am a Christian and yet at those moments I find my EGO is really apparent to me – my desire to be acknowledged. Didn’t Jesus say somewhere that if I only greet people who can greet me back what is the status of my heart before God? I do good because it is the will of God, not because I get a reward. My ego wants a reward. I find my ego is rather needy. I might instead call it sin that is dwelling in me – like Paul called it in Romans 7.

I don't need no stinkin' acknowledgement. I stop to be kind and merciful, not because I need someone's gratitude. That’s the attitude of Christ.

Now don't think this is just a lesson about street crossing delinquents. No, this is more about how I view all people I encounter. Can I be kind in my thoughts and deeds or is it about what I can get out of it (including some good gossip if things don't go my way).

So no more grumbling for me. I will still stop for pedestrians, and even hope that I am not appreciated. I do it because it's right. That’s all. And I love others because it is right; even if they annoy the heck out of me.

In fact, I should love them FOR annoying me because I might learn something about my ego. See, when I was young I needed that ego to get along in the world. Now that I am almost grown up it's time to let go of that ego....trade it for the one that Jesus wants to give me.

God bless you all.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment