9.07.2011

Leaving and Returning

The late Henry Nouwen wrote a book called Home Tonight: Further Reflections on the Prodigal Son. In it he speaks of the son’s leaving home and returning home as something we all experience on a spiritual level.The idea of leaving home and returning to God is a daily routine and theme. As each day comes, I am invited to remember that I am loved with an eternal love by God. This love isn’t because of what I have or what I do, but rather because of who I am in Christ. I am God's beloved child because of God's decision to make me so. I have God's blessings. When I choose to do my own thing, like the prodigal son I am leaving home. This happens daily whenever I step away from the Father and go to the far distant land of selfishness and ego-centered living. Whenever I worry, I am leaving home. Whenever I am greedy or jealous or lustful, I am leaving home. In all these ways I am saying, “Father, I am taking my blessings and leaving.” And it happens daily.

Returning home happens daily also. When I realize what I am doing, whom it is that I left, and where my real life resides, I am returning home. I come back to my heavenly Father and discover that he is running to greet me; to welcome me home and lavish his love on me with a feast of heavenly delights.

So let's get used to this leaving and returning. It will happen often on the road to our final home. But remember that the best part is the party, for it says in Luke 15 “There is more joy in heaven over one sinner who comes back home than over all the others who think they have no need to return” (a slight paraphrase on my part).

Anyway, this whole story is found in Luke 15. You might want to read it again - for the first time.

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment