7.09.2011

Controlling the Temper..... deploying the brakes with H.A.L.T.

There is a Proverb that says that a man who can control his temper is better than one who can conquer an entire city (Proverbs 16:32).

There is no power in loudness, only (to some degree) chaos. I know. Last week I found myself losing my temper. That’s an interesting turn of phrase isn’t it? A temper is a state of mind. I guess I could say I lost my state of mind. I lost my healthy state of mind is more like it. Or maybe I just lost my mind.

Some of you probably cannot imagine the pastor getting irritable or angry. Ah, but it happens. And when it does, like in a crowd of people or at a board meeting, it isn’t pretty. It doesn’t happen often but when it does I have to ask myself, Why?

I really can’t blame somebody else for my temper or temperament. I should be in control of my emotions. I suppose I could say it’s genetic or symptomatic of an illness - but I can’t. It’s my choice, my responsibility.

People in AA have an acronym that helps them remember what they need to avoid so as not to find themselves wanting a drink: H.A.L.T. (some have added an S.) It reminds them not to get into a place of hunger, anger, loneliness or tiredness.

I can identify some things in my life that need to be addressed so that I keep my temper to myself. It’s like what the flight attendant tells you before you take off - if the oxygen mask drops, put yours on first (take care of yourself) before you assist the person next to you. That’s probably good advice for all of us, especially your pastor.

Oh, the ‘S’ in H.A.L.T.S.? It stands for don’t be stupid.

Yours in Christ,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment