6.16.2010

The Pilgrim and the Cell Phone

So I’m at a four-way stop somewhere in Riverhead. I wait my turn, always vigilant in case someone else doesn’t wait their turn. I start to creep forward and sure enough this guy, who's talking on his cell phone, pulls out in front of me. And he’s yelling at me, no less. I wagged my pointer finger at him, thinking to myself, ‘You’re a jerk and gonna kill somebody.’ This guy might be one of those people that the Psalmist refers to as “wicked”.

So the first lesson here is everyone stay OFF your cell phones when you’re driving. It’s the law here in NY, but don’t you think it’s also just plain common sense??

The second lesson? Well, I’m just learning this one. Apart from the illegality of this guy talking on his cell while driving, I find in me the “jerk” that I ascribed to him. My own sinfulness ranks me far below this guy. I have broken God’s laws; neglected God; not trusted Christ as I ought. My words, thoughts, actions, and inactions bring me before the judgment, not of the Riverhead court system, but of God Almighty, who requires much more holiness from me than I give Him. I harbor within my soul anger, anxiousness and a desire for satisfactions outside my Lord’s Kingdom. I have transgressed more than just driving through a stop sign.

And yet – and here is the Good News (borrowing an image related by Puritan author John Bunyan in Pilgrim’s Progress) - as I stand before the judgment seat of God, daily He says to me, “Don’t be afraid. I do not see your sin. I see only the life of my Son in whom you trust. He has offered his life as a substitution for yours. You are now my son through Christ.” From the Father’s perspective, all is well. Nothing can separate me from his love.

See, stopping at a stop sign does not make me good. Not talking on my cell phone while driving doesn’t earn me points with God. Only Christ can do that. No law from God can do that, only Christ can. There is no rightness with God apart from Christ. And it’s only truthfulness on my part about my own condition that can ever bring me the peace that I crave in my relationship with God.

“If we claim that we’re free of sin we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins – make a clean breast of them – He won’t let us down. He’ll be true to himself. He’ll forgive our sin and purge us of all wrongdoing.” 1 John 1:9

Sincerely in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment