6.09.2010

Me and Mr. "K" ... existentialism, perfect love and dog collars

So...now that Pat Hanly is working with me, I find that his love for philosopher Soren Kierkegaard (Mr. “K” or Professor “K” as Pat and I call him) is contagious. I'm not sure Mr. K is a Calvinist but no matter, I really enjoy what I have been reading. Mr. K writes about a “leap of faith” and possessing a deep, personal commitment to Christ. He founded the branch of philosophy known as “Existentialism” (focusing on the meaning of existence for each individual). I’m still learning.

Anyway Mr. K writes about love; love of God and love of each other. I was particularly struck by one of his writings which begins, “To love another in spite of their weaknesses, errors and imperfections is not perfect love.” Whoa. I thought that's what love was all about, but it seems not! Mr. K writes from his experience with Christ that real love, perfect love, is to find someone lovable even WITH their weaknesses and faults. No matter how a person changes, real love sees them as lovable. And that is exactly how Christ loved.

Just think of Peter; how Jesus loved him, all of him, even in the worst moment of his life when he denied that he knew Jesus. Christ did not say to Peter, “Hey, change and only then will I love you.”

Consider this not only in the context of the Christian community, but in your family as well; with all the weaknesses and sin and dysfunction that may occur. You should love them/him/her in the midst of their sin, with their weaknesses firmly in tow. And while you are at it, you must try to love yourself. We sometimes take a dim view of ourselves but God loves us so completely, so fully that we occasionally discover just how great His love is and WE CHANGE. Now isn't that something?

Yours in Christ,
George

P.S. I just ordered one of those training collars for our new dog, Lucy, who has selective deafness...next week I'll let you how THAT went.

No comments:

Post a Comment