2.10.2010

Take Air

Take care. These are parting words we often hear and use.

TAKE CARE. Maybe it originated from back in the days when people wore powdered wigs. As they were leaving, it would serve as a reminder. "Take hair." Wouldn't want to forget the hairpiece.

I like to think that in using these words, people are telling one another to breathe. "Take air." Don't forget to breathe deeply.

Hey, remember the police show, Hill Street Blues? In each episode, after the sergeant finished his morning briefing he'd always end with, "And hey - be careful out there." Wise words in this troubled world.

"Take care." Take care of yourself as you go your way. I've decided that it's just not enough to tell one other to be vigilant or watchful. We need more than our own resources. We need God. Oh, you probably figured I would say that. But it's not my idea; I didn't make it up. A long time ago, back in the days of Moses and Aaron, God gave these words to be used as a blessing (from the book of Numbers, chapter 6):
The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord make his face to shine
upon you and be gracious to you.
The Lord lift up his countenance
upon you and give you peace.

Well. That's a mouthful, so I've decided I would like to say to people, "God be with you." I like that. It's a prayer, a blessing, a good witness to our faith. Let me know how that works for you, too. [Feel free to use the comment feature on this site.]

So, as of today - no more "take care" for me. And let me be the first today to say to you, amidst all your life's joys and struggles:
God be with you.

I really mean it.

Yours in Christ,
George

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I think we should close every Sunday service with this hynm. (pg.232)

    ReplyDelete