2.17.2010

On Taking Holy Communion

I took communion in a Roman Catholic Church recently. One of my church members, observing me, remarked, "I didn’t think you could do that."

It’s an issue that needs addressing. So I think I’ll start my own mini-Reformation. Back in the 1500's there arose a great division between churches over the meaning of the sacrament (sacrament, by the way, is not a word used in the Bible). Sacrament has the meaning of being holy, sacred or set apart as a sign of the working of God.

So a debate started up over what the bread and wine meant. Were they the literal body and blood of Christ, signs of his presence, or a memorial meal? In the Gospels, Jesus calls the bread and wine his body and blood. He also says, "Do this in remembrance of me".

The point in the Gospels and in Paul's letters is that communion is a gift of Christ, not any particular church, and ought not to be regulated by any doctrine apart from Christ’s teaching. Paul had harsh words about the manner in which people were taking the Lord’s supper. See 1 Corinthians 11.

So, if I were to be asked, it is my personal opinion that you may take communion in the Roman Catholic church as much as any Roman Catholic may take communion in our church. Communion is a gift of Christ telling us that he has given his life for us and inviting us to trust him.

My one caution would be that if someone invites you to a Catholic service, and you feel it would offend his or her sensitivity if you took the sacrament, refrain the first time, and then explain to them your reasoning.

Remember that when Christ gave His life, He gave it for all. And so who has the right to deny anyone access to that sacred gift? Protestants, rise up!

Share your thoughts on this. Use the comment feature found below this post.

In Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment