1.13.2010

Sainthood

Word has it that Pope Benedict XXI is considering official sainthood for John Paul II and Pius The XII. Now, the Roman Catholic church cannot "make" a saint; they cannot confer the status of saint. They can only recognize those whom they believe to be people of that classification. So I nominate my neighbor, Bernie. (Well, at least he should be nominated for Neighbor Of The Year.) Following the ferocious pre-Christmas snowstorm, Bernie cleared my entire driveway and sidewalk with his snowblower.

Let’s be clear. According to the Bible, ANYONE who professes faith in Jesus Christ and desires to follow him, is a SAINT. Followers of Christ are termed saints. I like that. St. George. Maybe after my name, instead of degree letters, I should write "St.". Perhaps on my business cards, instead of Rev., it should read "St."

Now, not all saints are as virtuous as they could be. (I know that there are days in my life that I wouldn’t want anyone to know I am a saint.)Nevertheless, they are still a holy people, called to be holy by God’s will.

Saints are not perfect. Yet they are separated because of their relationship to God. So, even on our worst days, we are still saints.

Sincerely in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment