7.03.2013

Come To The Table

Our home group has been studying the love of God; the unconditional affection that God has for us.  Well, one evening we came across a poem.  We don't read a lot of poetry at our home group but this poem was very – how do people say – “Right on.”

It was written a long time ago by George Herbert, an Anglican priest who lived in the early 1600's. His poetry is some of the most beautiful expressions of faith and love. The one we read that particular evening was simply entitled LOVE III.  Here it is for your enjoyment and invitation to Communion this Sunday.  Read it carefully and let it soak into you.

Love (III)

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack,
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
If I lack'd anything.

A guest, I answer'd, worthy to be here:
Love said, You shall be he.
I, the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr'd them: let my shame
Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?
My dear, then I will serve.
You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat:
So I did sit and eat.

Can you hear the call of love inviting you and me to have the humility and courage to surrender, knowing who it is who invites us?

Come to the table this Sunday, whoever you are.  Come, let your hand be taken and be led to the table of Grace.

Yours in Christ,
George



No comments:

Post a Comment