5.04.2011

Praying to End Abortion

So, I am reading this great book, unPlanned, the story of the former director of Planned Parenthood in Bryan, Texas. After watching a baby being aborted through an ultrasound-guided process called vacuum aspiration, she left her position. The story chronicles the life of Abby Johnson and her desire to help women in distress. While firmly believing in “choice”, she wants to do everything to lessen the number of abortions. Here is a website you can check for yourself: http://www.unplannedthebook.com/

Anyway, the Planned Parenthood Clinic was next door to a Coalition of Life Center and Abby got to know some of the more “sane” and compassionate leaders of the Center. The Coalition folks would hold a prayer vigil twice a year for 40 days, 24 hours each day, simply praying for an end to abortion. Abby was struck by such sincere prayer. Why wouldn’t anyone, regardless of political persuasion, want an end to abortion?

It got me to thinking that all Christians ought to be praying daily for an end to abortion; that God will somehow intervene with His mercy and make a way for less and less children to die in the womb and instead be brought into the loving arms of a mom or dad, family member, or adoptive parents. Should that not be a number one priority on the part of Christians, for the dignity of life inside and outside the womb?

I am myself trying to remember each day in all my prayers to pray for the life of the unborn and the end of abortion. I am praying in confidence that God will hear my prayers, the prayer of his child praying for his children.

I hope others will join this Journey of prayer. I hope our church might even decide to hold a prayer vigil.

Yours in Christ,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment