4.13.2011

Riding The S92

So a couple of weeks ago I was having our car serviced at Mullen Motors in Southold. I decided to take the bus from Mattituck to Southold to pick it up when they were done. I waited at the bus stop with some very nice folks who often ride the bus. I asked them how much the fare was and they told me the price and added that it was cheaper for senior citizens but didn't know exactly what age constituted 'seniors'.

The S92 pulled over and the driver opened the door and as I stepped onboard I asked about the fares. She told me that seniors paid 50 cents for age 60 and over. I paid my 50 cents and stood holding on to a railing since the bus was full. She then asked if I would like a seat because she would have some of the youngsters in the back get up for me. I said, 'no thanks'. It was her next comment that humbled me. She said, "These young people should get up for the elderly people who get on this bus." I looked around. Elderly? Who, me? Whoa now! I don't mind paying senior prices but i don't think I am exactly 'elderly' - or am I? Hmmm.

Got me to thinking that I am indeed growing older and a man has to know his limitations. Mine are becoming more evident. And one day, well, I will reach that heavenly city in God's good time. And it brought to mind something Bonhoeffer once said. Something to the effect that if we spend time now dying to self (as Jesus said), then when the time comes to physically die we will be a whole lot rmore ready to see our Lord. Some day maybe, even as Jesus said to Peter, someone will lead us to where we don't necessarily want to go.

My new bus driver friend certainly meant well and just maybe I learned a lesson that day riding the S92.


Yours in Christ,
George

1 comment:

  1. You will always be the young George that I remember!!! I'm so glad that I somehow found your blog--I hope you, Gigi and the boys are all doing well. I sure do miss growing up on Franklin St with everyone:)

    Vicki(Seiwert)Plank

    ReplyDelete